Cash prizes will be awarded in alternate history writing contest
The rising popularity of television series such as The Man in the High Castle, based on the Philip K. Dick novel, and the upcoming serialization of Stephen King’s 11/22/63 confirm the entertainment value of the thought-provoking alternate history genre. Since medieval writers began recording stories, authors have enjoyed manipulating historical events to create intriguing outcomes and exciting new worlds that thrill, captivate and antagonize our present-centered sensibilities.
And now in our first contest ever, FewerThan500 editors are calling on writers around the world to create their own compelling alternate history story. We encourage you to dig into historical facts and upend them, rewriting history in 500 words or less.
The top three authors will receive cash prizes!
Enhance your chance to win the cash prizes to be awarded — including $50 for first place — explore our website to read past content, discover emerging authors, and take a peek into the stylistic preferences of the editorial team. We also encourage you to read other works of alternate history.
Guidelines for the alternate history flash fiction writing contest are as follows:
- All entries must be 500 words or less.
- All entries must be original, unpublished works in the alternate history genre.
- One submission allowed per author.
- No simultaneous submissions are accepted.
- There is no fee to enter the contest.
- The Prizes:
- 1st Place – $50
- 2nd Place – $15
- 3rd Place – $10
- Two Honorable Mentions
- All prize payments will be made via Paypal. You must have a Paypal account to receive your prize.
- All submissions must be sent via e-mail to email@example.com.
- Please include “Contest Entry” in the subject line.
- Include a short bio with your submission.
- Deadline for submissions is May 30 – 5 PM Chicago time.
- Winning stories will be announced and published July 1-3, 2016.